View Single Post
Old 2006-07-27, 21:21   Link #28
AoiKurenai

I don't see anything wrong with JYB as Ichigo, he can certainly pull it off with his wide vocal range, which is what a lot of people seem to miss. From what I've read though, when he tried out for the part, he used a pretty deep voice and the casting directors wanted him to use something a bit lighter in tone, so not really sure what that says.

Quote:
Yeah, it would normally make sense, but Japan is a large part of Bleach.
Not really. The folklore in Bleach is just a huge amalgamation of folklore from around the world, the menos being one of the more prominent aspects of that. And shinigami = death god, how does that make it Japanese? Lots of religions and cultures all over the world have death gods. The Grim Reaper isn't American just because his name's spelt in English, just as the Shinigami aren't soley Japanese for being spelt in Japanese. And a good chunk of the Bleach folklore and lexicon is either not Japanese or just made up from Kubo's mind. Seriously, if Bleach is heavy in one folklore, it's Spanish folklore, not Japanese.

Quote:
And reading subtitles don't bother me one bit. I know that's not the same for everyone else so I accept dubbing as a necessity for wider distribution. But for me, after watching any subtitled show for a little while, I barely even read the subs anymore.
That only works for so long before it becomes stale to the general public. No one's going to actually want to buy the DVDs when they can basically get the same thing by downloading, they need something to draw them in. Lots of American films are dubbed into Japanese, and those are usually done with good actors and sometimes they have bad dubs, just like with English dubs, it can happened whenever whereever.

Quote:
And I only know one language, American. Maybe I'm just weird.
....considering American isn't a language to begin with.

Quote:
(Oh and also, most American VAs just suck IMO)
Japanese VAs aren't much better. For every Akira Ishida you've got ten Souichiro Hoshis. Just because it's dubbed in Japanese first does not make it the ideal version. I still think Ichigo is the most horribly miscasted character with Morita.