View Single Post
Old 2009-08-30, 14:44   Link #2285
Mentar
Banned

Okay, initially I was planning to wait for the scans to make sure that no nuances are lost in the translation, but I trust Primuler's script, so I'll try to make a couple of points, after trying to sort my thoughts a little bit.

1) There is nothing to criticize Hayate for

His confession-of-sorts was explicitly asked for by Hina. It's also clear that he never knew about Hina's romantic intentions, so I also don't think he can be called rude or insensitive. If that's truly what he feels, more power to him. It's also better for Hina to learn about it ASAP.

2) I pity Hayate for this decision (personal opinion - so please let me live, A-tan faction)

You know, part of me thinks that he's suffering a form of Stockholm Syndrome ^_^ ... or battered wife syndrome, take your pick. In my personal opinion, Athena hasn't done anything to deserve this kind of blind devotion. I also think that Hayate still has a very crooked idea of "love", since he has been used and exploited in the past, primarily by his parents, but also by Athena. In my opinion, love is a voluntary union of two people who deeply care for the other one. I doubt that Athena passes this threshold (and I also have the feeling that she will eventually turn out to be an antagonist - at least to the Nagi faction). But maybe I'm biased by the fact that it seems that the honest, selfless care for the other might not be rewarded. And sorry, I simply haven't see this aspect in Athena so far. Rather the forging of Hayate into the guy SHE wants him to be.

3) It's too early in the show for an ending

The confession-of-sorts doesn't fit in the drama arc for Athena. I have difficulties seeing that Hayate's statement is the turning point of the show. How is the ending supposed to look like, from now on? Nagi will not release Hayate to Athena, and I also don't see Hayate deserting Nagi for her. Also, it would feel strangely anticlimactic to me drop the bomb in the lap of another main contender and then ride this wave till the end. There's more to happen before we really reach crunch time.

4) Alot will depend on Hina's reaction now

I can see two main paths. The most logical one would be Hina recoiling and retreating, licking her wounds. I couldn't blame her and would probably do the same (though it wouldn't help at all). However, this would toss the entire romantic development a major curveball and lead to more Hina angst and moping, so I hope we can avert that, particularly since I fail to see the story's followup. I sure don't want 20 more chapters of Hina agonizing over what she should do, and it would be unlike her to just easily give up. Another possibility would be that Hina's strong competitive streak is tickled and she aggressively confesses herself, throwing down the gauntlet. This would then give the story a "fight for Hayate" spin, which I'd kinda prefer.

5) It does matter that this bomb was dropped in _Hina's_ lap

Not Nagi's, not Maria's, not Ayumu's. Hina's. The main reason I see is that she's the main rival on the _romantic_ angle. He has a strong bond with Nagi, but he doesn't see her as romantic material at all. He could have easily have this kind of "confide for help" talk with Maria, but he didn't. It would have been interesting to see Ayumu's reaction to it (if Hina retreats, I'm sure we will find out). Still, Hata went for maximum impact - and that meant, slamming Hina into this. In my opinion this just underlines her importance. And assuming the classic drama arc, this would be about the time when the heroes are on their knees.

6) I'm still very unhappy about this scene - unless he really goes for an Athena ending

Why? Because I simply can't see an Athena ending at all. But if he does NOT end up with her, I want to know how Hata will avoid the feeling of having any ending girl be more than the second-best choice. It would require some major change in story direction AND storytelling to narrate a proper "change of heart", and somehow I have difficulties picturing this

7) At least it's not School Rumble

It seems we're getting somewhere for real. It may not be the direction I personally prefer, but I guess that the endless circle of misunderstandings without progress which drove me mad in SR will be broken here. At least, Hata promised a conclusive ending. Let's see where we're going.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote