View Single Post
Old 2011-01-18, 19:33   Link #21553
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yeah, especially if he was already dead.

But suppose that the whole bomb and the fancy clock switch are true. And suppose that the switch was turned on by mistake.

Who would you blame?
No one; it's an accident. You said so yourself, it was a mistake.

Now the owner of the property is liable under civil law for the deaths, though it does somewhat depend on who we're counting as owner (Kinzo's estate? Krauss? Yasu?) and how much they knew about it.

But criminally? There is no fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
No, but it IS Kinzo's fault that the island exploded, and it IS Kinzo's fault that there was a reason to shoot anyone in the first place.

Hell, it's Kinzo's fault that his children are the kind of people who would shoot another person anyway.

See what I mean?
Not really. People are responsible for their own actions. I think it's fairly clear that people can rise above terrible circumstances; Maria, for all her turn toward darkness later in her life, never hurt anyone and was still able to trust people, and she had it bad. Ange is an obvious other example; although she can go bad, the "proper" ending shows she's not willing to pursue her paranoia and grief to self-destructive ends.

We don't know a lot of unbiased information about Kinzo's child-rearing or about the contribution his wife made to their upbringing. We also don't know that Eva, Krauss, or Rosa would go on a killing spree at all (Rudolf has more direct evidence of willingness to go along with it). It's too simple to point the finger at their father.

Finally, can you demonstrate beyond any shadow of a doubt that the mechanism which led to the disaster was Kinzo's agency and responsibility alone? He might be grossly irresponsible in not disarming whatever was there to disarm (if anything, and if he knew how and was able), but he might not be ultimately culpable for the outcome.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote