View Single Post
Old 2009-06-08, 02:08   Link #26
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Being able to predict what a person is aiming for doesn't make it easy for you to win with a hand and that is the point to mahjong anyway, you try create situations where you can set up a win that gives a minimal chance to others. I can deny others of the tiles that they need but how does my hand come about then if that is all I'm concentrating on. I have said that doing a "3 fan minimum" ups the game a little but that doesn't mean that you limit your own options to anything but the pure minimum ending hands. Outside factors like collecting your own wind tiles and whether you have any flower tiles come into play that complicates matters so even a cheap 1 fan chow only hand can win if you satisfy other conditions.
It makes it tough to win, but tough to lose as well. The opposite is true for very loose to no rules; easy to win, easy to lose.

With a 3 fan minimum, it becomes very easy to defend. The only open hands that could quality under those restrictions are Hon Itsu Toi Toi, Toi Toi + Fanpai, Chin Itsu or Sanshoku Jun Chan. So, as soon as someone calls something it becomes easy to not deal into their hands.

Defense is more important in Japanese mahjong than other gambling games, and that's a cardinal rule tough to drill into people. Especially the "experts". People want to show off with big hands...it's almost human nature. So they get hasty and end up dealing into another person's big hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ps...saiGAR 2008? you need a new message change
I disable signatures so I'm often unaware of what's lurking there. I'm at a loss of what to put both here and AP, there's not a lot happening right now worth advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Kokushi musō, isn't 4 sets 1 pair, is it not a winning yakuman hand?. The question is related to what Quarkboy already pointed out in the Saki thread. Namely, you need a yaku so that the hand is valid, hence riichi.
You can use Riichi with Kokushi Musou. I just tend to exclude it because yakuman are in a different category from regular han.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Thus the question, is there a hint to getting a yaku? Looking at the duzen yaku/yakuman combinations on wikipedia I can't spot the sub pattern(s), yet.
Typically the rarer the hand, the more value it has. But stuff like Jun Chan, Chanta, Sanshoku aren't things one would normally aim for, since they are tough to get and are not worth that much. They are more of a lucky coincidence sort of yaku that improves an already standard hand.

By far, the most common hand in Japanese mahjong is the Pinfu. It's closed, can be combined well with dora, Tan Yao, Riichi and uradora. Easy mangan or haneman hand for most people, in 4P it's murder to deal into.

Next most common hand is anything + Yakuhai. Then Toi Toi comes third.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote