View Single Post
Old 2009-08-15, 10:29   Link #1927
4Tran

Please drop any discussion of reputation. If you receive anything extremely malicious, PM a moderator instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegoblue View Post
I wonder if people like Alto as a romantic lead only because he's the main character and hero of the story, or because they genuinely like his personality. That's a question for another thread though.
Personally, I rather like Alto's characterization. As for any of his romantic prospects, that's much more up in the air - admittedly I don't think that he's quite ready for any kind of relationship as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegoblue View Post
Anyway, people seem to take this discussion pretty personally, and it sounds like this topic has been rehashed a few times already. I can't think of any original topics, but I'd love to get a fresh discussion going.
I agree. Seriously, if you have nothing to contribute to this thread, please refrain from posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
So, regarding to this discussion, I just recently watched Macross Frontier for the 2nd time, and dare I say this, I have no idea when there is so much Ranka-hate going on in this board (5:1 for Sheryl:Ranka? WHAT?).
Yeah, it's a real shame that liking one character is somehow connected to necessarily disliking anoter. I suppose that it's a bit inevitable given the structure of the show, but a lot is probably attributed to how well-liked Sheryl is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
Sure she can be quite immature sometimes in the series but I think that I liked her quite a bit more than Sheryl. Reason is that she seems to be the more cheerful type compared to Sheryl, and Ranka had to bear being basically abused by the Frontier Government as a tool to fight off the vajra for the entirety of the series (I have to remind myself that Ranka was still just a kid when the series started).
While I like Sheryl more than Ranka, I like Ranka a fair bit as well. Some of this like derives from her similarities to Minmay, but I find her to be a rather interesting character in her own right. There's her cheerfulness that you touched upon, but I think that a lot of this stems from her innocence, and her admirable ability to preserve that innocence. This in in turn doesn't come without its negative consequences like the very questionable decisions Ranka made late in the show. But this kind of natural consequence is also what makes characters fuller, and I rather appreciate her for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
That is one way to look through the scope. What is she running away from in those situations then?
It's mostly a combination of confusion and naivete. Ranka felt a connection with the Vajra that no-one else did, and that no-one else seemed interested in exploring. She thought that she might be able to communicate with them somehow and settle matters without resorting to killing all of them.