Thread: Graphic cards
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-05, 04:54   Link #79
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlumina View Post
They're not rebranded perse, they're shrinks. The GTS 250 has a smaller architecture than that of the 9800GTX.
The GTS 250 is a rebrand or the 9800GTX+. The defining trait of the GTX+ vs a normal 9800GTX was that they run at 738mhz instead of 675. Many GTX+ were also 55nm rather than 65nm like on the regular GTX (the die shrink you refer to) but there are apparently some 65nm GTX+s as well. Nvidia seems to like being obtuse with their product naming.

THe 9800GT can be either a rebranded 8800GT or a die shrunk version (55nm vs. 65nm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What is a good budget graphics card? I might go with a cheap card and upgrade later. The games I want to play on PC the most (that are the most graphic intensive) are Oblivion and MW 1 and 2, and both have obsolete cards for recommended cards. What is a good cheap card? I'm thinking of getting a Geforce 9800 GT. Does it have a large power draw? Does it heat up too much? Or is that stuff not a problem?

And I'm gonna get at least a 600 watt power supply. Might go with a 700 watt power supply.

And processors...AMD processors; AM 3. I could get a dual core Phenom II and then go quad core one day if I wanted to save money.

Could I go intel and get a dual core CPU and then go quad core in the future? Or do i5/i7 CPUs have different socket types that they are compatible with?
-The Core i5/i7 require use their own sockets, and for now the cheapest CPU that will fit one is $200. There will be a dual core i3 eventually.
-The Phenom II X2 550 (dual core) is $102 compared to $166 for it's quad core counterpart, the Phenom II X4 955. If you have the cash just grab the quad now instead of waiting to upgrade... I think it'll be a while til you see a CPU as good as the 955 for $64.
-On graphics cards... making a recommendation here is hard. You have the 9800GT 512MB for like $100, the GTS 250 1GB for $125, and the HD 5750 1GB for $145. The GTS 250 and HD 5750 are a nice speed bump over the 9800GT from what I've seen although not one I would consider a necessity. The HD 5750 support Direct X 11 features, which Nvidia's boards don't, while nVidia's boards support nVidia's PhysX stuff in select games. You can look at some benchmarks here: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=1

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote