View Single Post
Old 2010-03-22, 11:42   Link #393
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
She is?

I was under the impression she made her drinks vanish with inhuman speed when she wished, but I don't remember that particular trait.

As for the rest, I figured that the two options explaining how that fight went down were that either Asakura was a flaming incompetent, or she was playing for the fans (read: Kyon) The only thing that dissuades me from thinking that is Kuyoh's arrival on the scene, proving that there are in fact other factions of Data Entities running around, so that part of Ryoko's story checks out now.

I'm not sure how else to resolve the problem, unless Kyon has some sort of resistance to data manipulation that we've never been told about.
She polishes off her food and drinks with amazing speed, yes, but she also eats a lot (if what I remember is correct). Which is why in Snowy Mountain Syndrome, when she barely touched the food Kyon notices something is majorly wrong with her. Then again, maybe her stomach is a bottomless pit that can instantly convert anything she eats into data, so she'll never get full.

The DITE is very different from Kuyoh's Sky Canopy Dominion (who actually comes up with these translated names, anyway?). I would think that, to secure Kyon's trust in Yuki and through her the DITE, the fight might have been staged for Kyon to jump over to Yuki's side as soon as possible, before the SCD can do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahf616 View Post
To go back a couple of tangents (sorry if that's a problem). I have to say that I don't really think that the Asakura that was brought back in Disappearance is the same one that was originally around.

I always thought of it in terms of alt!Asakura being a manifestation of all the desires of Yuki in that universe: someone to look after and protect her. Asakura is basically her guardian in that universe, but also represents the negative traits of it as well, that being selfishness. So even though Yuki wanted to give Kyon a choice, part of her somewhere deep down probably didn't, and so that got transferred to Ryoko, who acted not only on that, but on a twisted version of the guardianship that she was assigned.
That's basically what I think Asakura's role is too. I think I mentioned it somewhere here before, but I'll just repeat it again then heh. The rational part of Yuki still exists when she created the Disappearance world, leaving Kyon with the choice of going back to the 'real' world or not. However, just as irrational as she is when creating alt!Universe, she created Asakura to try and desperately safeguard what she perceives as her dream world; a world where she doesn't have to suffer silently under Haruhi, a world where she doesn't have to witness the struggles for power between the factions, and a world where she can freely have emotions.

Do I think Yuki wants the world so badly that she can kill Kyon for it? No, I don't. However, the baser instincts of Asakura probably brought about that reaction (after suffering the rage of all who says she's incompetent!), and went a step further in stabbing Kyon. Remember, this Asakura is still human, as with all other characters in alt!Universe. None of her alien loyalty or missions. But still, humans, as we all know, are capable of killing at the drop of a hat.