View Single Post
Old 2018-02-11, 11:59   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Or eliminate movies entirely from consideration and just focus on televised shows which is what the vast majority of commentary on this site is about. I'd favor this.

Movies pose a special problem in that they are much less available for viewing (at least legally) than televised shows. I'm sure I'm not alone when I see movies in the list that I haven't heard of, never mind watched.
Alternatively, simply have movies compete against themselves for overall supremacy and make the animation/art categories open to TV series only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki. View Post
Last year non of the four top-voted works in that category were movies. (And Yuri on ICE!! didn't even make it into the top four, despite having some of the best long animated segments ever seen in TV anime.) The same goes for 2015. I don't really have any reason to believe that movies are inherently at advantage here.
Any year a big name release from someone like Shinkai or Hosoda is out there, it's going to dominate. In budget terms there's simply no comparison between TV anime and theatrical films - it's like a drag race between a production car and a custom-built F1. Made in Abyss should have won the category, that would be my point - the fact that it "only" lost by a moderate amount rather than a landslide is not a good defense of the status quo, IMHO.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote