View Single Post
Old 2011-06-06, 18:36   Link #170
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I didn't read the thread until now because, honestly, the episode left me cold for the most part. I blame Menma's mum for breaking down at the beginning of the episode, as I just wasn't able to take it seriously after that hilarity. The ending scene reminded me so much of Madoka's 10th episode because I knew everyone would have something to say about it. However, unlike in Madoka's case, I was expecting an overwhelmingly negative reaction rather than a positive one. Colour me surprised, guys.

This, right there. I, too, was rooting for something else other than the ghost theory, but I came to accept it and AnoHana's supernatural flavor quite early on in the series. What was once a simple plot device that would set a course for Super Peace Busters to resolve their past issues has morphed into a deus ex machina, which is something I don't like seeing in contemporary storytelling.

In fact, I think that it would be so much more rewarding if they could find another way for them to settle their differences, rather than supernatural intervention. True friendships are often born after such intense conflicts, but I guess the show isn't aiming for reconciliation, but rather the demise of this little group of old friends. Most of them realized that Super Peace Busters wasn't much of a group without Menma, so the writers thought it would be a good idea to introduce a ghost of a dead girl to act as a replacement for the real thing.

The Super Peace Busters are as dead as the dead girl, I'm afraid.
Honestly, high school kids aren't really equipped to deal with a mom that breaks down in front of them about a dead friend, let alone high school kids who all have regrets/guilt over said dead friend AND some who thinks the whole wish thing was a charade. After what basically constitute as a 'nuke' to said fragile group's trust, i don't see another way to re-establish said trust without Menma involved. Did the writers back themselves into a corner? Yes I think so. Would it be cool if Jinta came up with a miracle way to regain trust? Yes I think so. Was their 'out' poorly written? No, I don't think so. Menma's delayed revelation can be explained if we look back on certain events that happened before. Although I highly doubt they laid the foundations specifically leading up to the end of ep8 (If so, we should be praising such brilliant writing), but possible reasoning of Menma's delayed response is not completely out-of-character and far-fetched. Which is why I dont believe you can say it's poorly written. At the same time, it was a predictable response after what happened in the first half of ep.8, so I can't say it was brilliant writing either.