View Single Post
Old 2013-03-03, 07:44   Link #192
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This is not me being a hipster or channeling my grandparents--this is a legitimate complaint against the quality of entertainment media falling in order to make more money.

The "fast food entertainment" has nothing to do with my age, the age of the content, the target demographic of the content or any of that. It has only to do with the quality of the content.

I'm sorry but you can't sit there and tell me that a shovelware F2P MMO is anywhere near the quality of a subscription-model game. They just aren't. They aren't even remotely close. Anime is no different--the industry just decided that they'd rather focus on easier-to-please customers (which happen to be more numerous, and have more disposable income) than the highly discerning fan.
No, I'm quite sure this is you channelling your grandparents, you just don't understand what that looks like from that side of the fence. What do you think the "kids these days" rant is all about? The people who make these complaints really do believe they have a legitimate complaint about quality of society. They don't think they're being grumpy for the sake of being grumpy, they think there's something legitimately wrong. They feel that important, essential values are being eroded in order to appease inferior tastes. And this is exactly what you're saying: that quality of entertainment is "falling" because they're focusing on "less-discerning customers". This whole "discerning" bit is particularly insidious. At the heart of it, this rant is really about "the masses are moving away from my preferences, and towards something I think is inferior". Of course you're pitching your own preferences as "quality" and yourself as being "discerning", because it's a lot easier to blame the industry for catering to "casuals" than to admit that maybe your own taste is not inherently better than theirs is anyway.

I mean, even if what you're saying were "objectively true", who are you to say that the fun that people have with those "shovelware F2P MMOs" isn't just as high? Who is to say that the model of "play for a while, enjoy it, then move on" isn't okay? If you can get 30-40 hours of enjoyment of something without paying a cent, maybe that's okay? Obviously it's not your preference, but that doesn't mean your preference is inherently better. Even if your argument were true, all you're doing is lamenting your own increasing irrelevance to the market at large. And to that one might say "the world's changing; sorry you can't keep up". I guess the world just can't keep measuring up to your superior discerning taste for "quality".