View Single Post
Old 2008-04-27, 01:48   Link #16
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShare View Post
Really loving the photography.
Question: Where are you taking all of these?
Thanks, BearShare They're taken in a variety of different locations, actually. Shots of Mercury and much from wildlife are taken in and around my mother's house in New York, as she conveniently lives in a very foresty region. Others are taken from outings of mine, which have generally been more or less for touristy or visiting purposes and are generally either in New York (my home region) or Southern California (where I attended university - I've graduated and will be leaving the area soon, though). I'll try to indicate where images were taken; the flower shots were all taken at the Lake Shrine in California.

Only more recently have I started venturing out with the intent of capturing specific things, as was the case with the astral photography (where I knew that I wanted to capture the star trails and experiment with night captures) and the sunset that I posted (where I parked on the side of the road and walked out onto a long road bridge over a reservoir to get the shot - cars driving by probably thought I was crazy, but I wanted shots from that area at that time of day). I like to think of it as a transition into becoming a "real" photographer. Instead of seeing something and saying "I want to remember this" (which is how I started), I now notice things and think "I want to capture this in the best way possible." If there's an interesting tile pattern on the floor (as in one of kayos' sample shots), I want to capture it in a way that shows how it was interesting; if I see a sunset playing out beautifully over some water and trees, I'll bide my time until the weather is right and return to that spot in an effort to capture it. It's challenging, but it's quite fun. I don't know about making money off of it, but the payoff in terms of satisfaction and long-lasting enjoyment from a good picture is immense.

Mobility with the camera was important to me, and part of the reason I chose the Olympus E-410 as my DSLR is due to its small size - it was advertised as and still is the smallest DSLR, as far as I know (the new E-420 changed the form very slightly, but it's still incredibly small). I carefully picked out a camera bag that isn't so big that I can't move around with it on, but is large enough to carry a few things (alternate lens, lens hoods, spare batteries, camera remote, cables, camera manual) comfortably and is water resistant. There are times when I prefer to leave the DSLR at home and only carry the point-and-shooter, but otherwise I just prepare myself for potentially being gawked at and pack the DSLR along for the trip. I'm not an expert, but if you have or are looking to buy a camera and accessories and want some advice, feel free to ask. I may not have an answer, but I can try to at least point you in the right direction.