View Single Post
Old 2011-10-15, 17:48   Link #277
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
I have to be honest, I found this very disappointing. The three central characters are the least interesting elements of the whole thing; the art is very bright and colourful but tonally completely different from the washed-out tones of the original; the story doesn't capture the same tone. You'd have thought that in nearly 10 years CG would have improved but if anything the original Vanships looked better than the ones here (there's some terrible CG/2D integration).

I'm surprised people think that this starts like the original show did. I rewatched the first episode of Last Exile straight after watching Fam and just found it tonally and technically completely different.
I'm sure a lot of people agree with you too.

I treat this a spiritual successor, not successor in copying the original and continue on with another story. In the stream I watched, a lot of people enjoyed what they saw, while others expressed the same way as you. While the directors obviously took in consideration of the original crowd, the series was also meant for new viewers, as such I feel the directing choice for a more vibrant coloring was correct. Sky blue and cloud white coloring felt fresh; this is a new generation, and less "washed-out" tones gave me that feel.

The episode provided plenty of energy. The mains are not over the top; they feel real. I don't find them bland even standing next to Dio, especially Fam's rather spunky word choices (loved that part with the captain) and quirky personality. Besides the ethereal music from the original, the culture of the world was another aspect that drew me in. From the people's garments to the airships together with the panoramic cuts are just beautiful (I keep coming back to this word because the episodes captures the adjective so well). Not to mention the choreography in "whale" capturing was very well scripted; the "stealing" was a bit cheesy in this department, but the grandeur and epicness are still there.

In a sense, I almost feel like watching a TV series of Laputa. I must say the feeling is incredible. Sorry that's not the same for you =(.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote