View Single Post
Old 2012-01-30, 06:59   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

One Piece is a legacy forum. It predates the system, hence why there are a lot of debates. Naruto / Bleach / One Piece are essentially the exception and to the best of my knowledge they are treated as special cases in the sense they have dedicated moderators. They are also so well known it's not really in question anyone moderating it would not be familiar with the material.

Regarding discussing/debates in general threads. As I mentioned they are way too noise and misguided to have any constructive discussion and any discussion you start will just get buried. So no, they are no appropriate at all. As I've mentioned the General thread of these forums is also particularly obscure. relentlessflame pretty much said they are intentionally making it obscure himself.

Quote:
While i can see your point that you want more freedom of creating new topics that can start new discussions threads about something more specfic that's not suited for the general discussion, but i think that you are not taking moderators in consideration. I am pretty sure that they moderate the forums voluntarily and don't have the time to do this 24/7.
I am tacking them into consideration. But my point is ALL that is done, is JUST tacking them into consideration. My problem is that as it stands the way things are going you can hardly use the word moderator anymore. They are not moderating anything... they're just making it so there's nothing to moderate. Things like closing topics and or forbidden discussion/debates in certain cases is not "moderating" it's censoring. Moderating would be just splitting the debate/discussion but you hardly see that anymore. Personally I haven't seen it in years, it's just "censorship rule" of the week now.

The community can handle itself just fine even with a little chaos here and there. The old system worked just fine with debates and everything, do you have any proof it didn't? There is absolutely NO need to censor the forum and dumb it down to such extents for a certain group of people that don't even directly participate in said debates. Do you plant just grass in your garden so the gardener has an easier time gardening? Obviously there are other solutions that could be used that don't involve affecting the community in a negative way.

But don't take my word for it. There have been private petitions (not by me, btw) on the very issue of the moderation team thinking of only their interest and mishandling anything resembling a debate. And it was signed by a whole lot of people.

Quote:
So in a way, you are giving the mods a harder time to moderate more and closing pointless topics and handing out infractions ,while you satisfy a small group of people. Also i don't think it's just fear, because infractions and bans never truly stopped the trolls creating pointless threads in other forums.
Look. Forums are for discussion and debates. Period.

It doesn't matter, or it shouldn't matter, how many people treat it as just a place to vent their feelings with out any backing. If that's what you want, there's this thing called irc, 2chan, etc. Being "opinionated" isn't the same as having an "opinion". A lot of these threads in series forums are just people being "opinionated", ie. they think something, but have nothing backing them up. Having an opinion isn't something you declare but something that comes naturally when you have different reasons/arguments in a debate for something. If you have no actual arguments then it's just noise and all your contributing to the debate is wasting people's time trying to explain it to you and your non-existent logical backing.

And also, you're generalizing to minorities, thus indirectly labeling yourself as some majority. As I said this have been other issues related to this; it's hardly a "minority opinion" or out of thin air. If you want to continue to claim that, then prove it!