View Single Post
Old 2013-05-12, 07:05   Link #59
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Aliens: Colonial Marines Sold 1.31 Million

...I feel for you guys You'll probably be getting another game....
Not necessarily. For a game that had a triple A development (a very LONG development) and marketing budget put into it, 1.3 million is actually a pretty damn small number of sales. ESPECIALLY when you consider that allot of places put Colonial Marines into the bargain basket not too long after its release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
With those low numbers, I doubt we'll see another sequel. Then again, F.E.A.R. 2 didn't even break 1 million sales and it still got a sequel. Now 1.31 million may be alot for us, and if this was the early 2000s it would actually be a financial success. But today, Publishers (and some developers) actually need their games to sell in the millions to be deemed a success and rake in a profit.
FEAR 2 may not have sold allot, but it WAS part of a reasonably successful franchise. And the game wasn't critically maligned. Aliens Colonial Marines has really damaged the Colonial Marines brand name. Sega is going to be very nervous about pumping more money into a franchise that has been almost universally regarded as being bad.

Wanna know what's really sad about this entire affair? It isn't people's excitement for a Colonial Marines game getting squashed. I think that this affair is going to teach publishers that they need to manage game developers more tyrannically. Sega was VERY generous with giving all of those extensions to Gearbox. And all they got in return was a publisher who slacked off on the work they were paid to do, and delegated it to other parties without supervision.

So what ultimately came out was a giant pile of crap. What does this tell the publishers? That maybe Bobby Kotick had the right idea when he was talking about all this "climate of fear" and "taking the fun out of making video games".
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote