View Single Post
Old 2006-04-02, 22:29   Link #34
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just had a brief look at 2channel, and there is certainly a lot of interest: over 1000 posts in the 12 hours since the show aired. But there are definitely two camps:

1. "This is stupid. What's going on, why is she in a bunny costume, is she a mahou shoujo? You must have had to read the novel to enjoy this."

2. "This is great. Hilarious. The surface may seem stupid, but there's really a lot there. I'm so excited."

Clearly not all Japanese understand the better class of Japanese humor, lol. This episode reminds me of the smart self-mocking absurdity of British shows like Monty Python and Absolutely Fabulous.

The decision to start with the movie was really genius, like kj1980 said. I've only read a bit of the manga, and found the way it started a little slow-moving. This way, you are drawn into the Haruhi universe right away.

If this keeps up, Ichigo Mashimaro will have a competitor as the funniest anime I've ever seen.

I vote for this being episode 1, and next week episode 2. It's not as if this is a prologue. In any case, it's easier to keep track of the number of episodes if we don't go all coder and number the first item number zero. The file I saw was called "The Unhappiness of Suzumiya Haruhi, episode 1: Asahina Mikuru's Adventure, episode 0."

Oh, and I have a question for kj or someone else: how to translate the title. Is it Haruhi who is melancholy/depressed/unhappy, or is it that she makes the people around her that way?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-02 at 22:52.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote