View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 22:58   Link #16
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
So Sena in her ignorance dismissed Yozora's past - granted she did not know and did not mean it, but nevertheless it is a stumble - both for herself and Yozora.

It is fine to have a particular outlook in life but takes more maturity to not say what you thought needs to be said, and Sena's lack of maturity comes from her total lack of restriant (not specific to this case). Is it okay to tell a war veteran suffering PTSD, despite your best intentions that 'it's just a war, people die, what's important is now that everything is fine!'? It is not, because you have not been through the same and cannot feel the same emotions. Is it okay to tell victms of child abuse that 'the past is not important, what's important is the future'? It is not, because past is always a part of a person and sometimes makes them who they are.

Extreme examples but Yozora holds the same significance on something trivial from other people's perspective, and unknowingly a line has been crossed.

Selfish is a word that can be applied to just about any character haganai. Sena in her obliviousness to anyone else's feelings, Yozora in her refusal to let go, Kodaka in his denials.
There is a very important distinction to be made from the examples you brought up, which is that Yozora was actively using her past to justify the plot of the film instead of passively reminiscing about the past.

I agree that telling a war veteran to ignore the past is not okay, and it is fine to have historical records to remind us about the things that went wrong in the past. But if that war veteran starts going around spreading xenophobia based on past national tensions, then they need to be told that the past is the past and that people have to move on and focus on the future.

In the same way, it is fine for Yozora to reminisce about her past with Kodaka, but when she starts insisting on changing the plot of a film that all the club members voted on, on the basis of her past friendship with Kodaka, then someone had to be firm here and say what needs to be said. I think Sena handled the situation fairly well and did it without malice. Many people would reasonably have done something similar if they were in her position.