Thread: Dragon Age II
View Single Post
Old 2010-07-23, 09:34   Link #16
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
Oh great, another sequel.
It was always known that Bioware planned DA to be the next big franchise, no? They even called the first game "Origins."

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocd View Post
Unfortunately that may never happen because Bioware doesn't have the license to Baldur's Gate anymore. (Atari does)
Didn't everyone just take Origins as the spiritual sequel anyway? It's not like they were going to continue the Bhaalspawn saga since that one's done and over with. It's the era of the Darkspawn instead, yo.

Naturally I'm totally looking forward to this game.

That said, while Origins was a magnificent RPG by any standards, I think Bioware is taking their own universe a bit too seriously. Art direction more austere than Origins? They make it sound like Ferelden was a magical fairyland of floating cities and glittering dreamscapes, and not the filthy backwater of wet dogs and grimdark men that it was! The DA universe was already a more austere version of the Forgotten Realms anyway, what's with mages being demon-bait, elves oppressed by xenophobia, and the darkspawn borrowing heavily from Tolkien's original orcs before everybody else decided to humanize the lot culminating in a certain green dude named Thrall.

Eh, I guess that's one thing JRPGs will always get one over the West. They don't feel the need to blush and act tough when they want their fantasy worlds to sparkle.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote