View Single Post
Old 2010-11-09, 19:28   Link #156
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Let me qualify this. Manami is a very very nice girl. Kind disposition, patient and devoted. She has a brain, unlike most moeblobs. But she doesn't show any spine, and characters whose defining traits are complete subservient devotion to someone else, bother me.
Ok, I now have a good idea when it comes to the key element of Manami's character that you dislike, although I strongly disagree with the idea that she doesn't show any spine. A somewhat shy teenage girl like her doesn't so readily play along with being put into potentially intense situations with a guy she has a crush on if she doesn't have any spine... and Manami plays along with exactly that. Frankly, she has more spine than most non-action driven (i.e. mecha pilots, shounen action heroes, etc...) anime characters that I've seen.

However, you're right that she has complete subservient devotion to Kyousuke. This is something that I'm not entirely comfortable with myself. While I do like Manami and her character a lot, I would prefer it if we saw her have a side to herself that's not tied up with Kyousuke (like, say, we saw a few scenes of her chatting with female friends that she likes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
"I wonder how things'll be if we graduate and go to the same college."

This line signifies that he has put some thought into moving past the friendship. He just doesn't want to commit now. It's plausible. Sometimes people want to live a carefree life without responsiblities in high school while they still can. College is the period where everything changes. More independance, more responsibilities, more room for a love life.

To me, Kyousuke believes he isn't ready for a relationship yet and who can blame him? His parents don't particularly treat him favorably, instead giving special treatment to his sibling. His sibling nags him for every little thing. Simply put, he feels restricted at home. He even said this, albeit not as explicit, during the episode.

When he graduates from college and moves out of the house, his environment, his demeanor, his way of life will change, for better or worse. And who will be there for him? Manami.

This is more or less as I see it as well. Like yourself, I think that this one specific line makes it very clear that Kyousuke is open to a romantic relationship with Manami once they're both in College, but simply doesn't want the possible drama or complication of one right now. Which, as you alluded to, makes a lot of sense, given the drama and complication that exists in his life right now due to his family. He simply doesn't want to have to balance an actual romance on top of that.

So, I don't see where there is a "firm, consistent rejection" here, or anything of the sort. Kyousuke is just trying to slow things down, and put romance off until he's in a better position to handle one.