View Single Post
Old 2011-09-26, 10:06   Link #55
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
See, the problem with the "Blooming" metaphor, is that's not the impression you get. Ohana going from a motivated, responsible outgoing worker at the inn, to a brooding, melancholic, flustered crying girl doens't convey that Ohana's "Blooming". It makes it look like Ko is a walking regression emitter.

This could have worked to nuance how their relationship had progressed. Ohana and Ko managing to display their feelings to each other in a mature, tender manner would have played in with the "blooming" motif. But when at the end of the series they're still at the "EEEEK! HOLDING HANDS!" stage? Completely falls flat.
By "blooming" I meant Ohana's coming of age - not their relationship. Teenage romances tend to stay like that, it's still too early for either of them to display enough emotional growth for their love to grow and evolve to a new level. She doesn't have her emotions sorted out yet, but as she leaves on that train, I think she realizes that the time she spent in Kissuiso was an important lesson in her life, one that she'll fully understand in years to come. So even if the effects aren't visible yet, she has undergone the "blooming".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Though I think you've caught onto the *(un)important* aspect of the relationship. Think about it. The last scene between Ko and Ohana ends with Ohana catching Jiroumaru listening in on them. The relationship ends on a punchline.
At that moment it actually occurred to me that she felt relieved that someone interrupted them.

Ko-chan had really become a coward by the end of the show, which started by him manning up and confessing.