Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-05, 12:29   Link #2083
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Since the start I say to not compare alcohol with drugs. Not all alcohols are like vodka. I am part of those who wants to see the state making the difference between, for example, wine and vodka (and believe it or not, about alcohol, here in France it's a serious subject and we search solutions to every problems related to it). Have you ever wondered why a lot of us French drink wine? Because when you drink a glass of wine with a nice dish, it tates good and doesn't have any side effect if you stay responsible (read: not drink 3 bottles of wine). We also use some type of alcohols in many of our receipes. Wine, Cognac, Armagnac for example. Still, it doesn't have any dangerous "immediate" side effects. We're not all brainless.

But what would be the purpose to lower the dosage of a drug? NOT ALL the people drink to become drunk (As a French proud of our cuisine and wine, I would see that as an insult if somebody talks to me as if becoming drunk was the main purpose for drinking wine or using Cognac in cuisine, even if I don't drink myself). Why does the people take drugs? To experience the effects of it, and those effects come together with said bad side effects, and the effects that some people like are sometimes actually part of the bad effects. A person who is bored will smoke marijuana because it can change the perception of time on a certain number of people. The person sees that as a good effect, but then he has not a normal control on himself anymore.

And in my example, I was talking about Cocaine. Are you aware that not all the drugs are equal? In France, cocaine is seen as a very dangerous drug even at little dose.

I don't know how it is outside France, but that statement of yours is just false about my country. Most of the adults are responsible and don't get drunk. In a recent debate, they even, stated that even if the situation gets worse among the young people, less people have alcohol problems among the entire French population.

People who know they will get high are not sure to still have full control once they will be "high". Nor that they will remember what they did. Here, it happens often about people who take drugs. Sure it's not important if you get high in your bedroom and wake up in your garden without remembering how and why you left your room. But very bad cases happen more and more often here. One of the very bad case can be that a man will rape a woman and doesn't even remember. Or that a woman will let 10 guys make love to her because she was not in full control of herself and realize in the morning the effects that a single dose of drug has on her. Some people might not care and even laugh at that, but if I was a parent I would care. And even so, I actually care about that.

I dont compare some of my friends who drink one beer every two weeks in a café (because it tastes good) and never drunk with people who takes drugs with the sol purpose of getting high. Actually, said friends will see that as an insult if I ever make a comparison.
I can't speak about France, but here in North America, almost everyone drinks to get blind stinking drunk. Of course many people drink rarely, but few people drink a glass or two.

Edit: On second thought, its not everyone as i first wrote, but quite a large number of people.

And about my comment about the accidental part, I'm saying people who get high know they will be losing control and know the consequences of what they do when that happens. People who drink a few glasses convince themselves they are alright, drink more, lose themselves and then do something they regret, all the while thinking they could control themselves.