View Single Post
Old 2009-01-05, 21:57   Link #1864
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Ehh, it's supposed to be: this phrase is vague
1: This is where grammar (bolded) is needed, particles and all.
2: Unlike chinese 1 kanji doesn't equate to 1 meaning or have 1 reading. (sadly)
So words for 'phrase'... well there are a few, but it's usually composed of two kanji for more depth.

An example for that I suppose would be:
この語句不分明です
Kono goku wa fubunmei desu.

With Japanese again, sadly I find there to be like 3-4 ways (or more) to say 1 word in english because they specify it to each situation or noun.
(example is the word 'full')

The house is full.
The carpark is full.
I am full.

Translates to:
満員 (man-in) = full of members
満車 (main-sha) = full of cars
おなかがいっぱい (onaka ga ippai) = stomach is full

So to say 'this phrase is vague' - depends.
Is it a phrase from a poem? An idiom expression? Because in Japanese, there are seperate words for each one, lol. Always have to find the most suitable word to match the situation, this also bring extra pain for Eng->Jp translations, so I don't do them as often as I should. >.>
(least not by text)

Makes learning vocab a bitch in my opinion. I'd think i've learnt the word for something, only to see it has like 10 branches of it depending on the situation with natives will use naturally. x.x
(I love this language, really I do!)

But that's where kanji become this puzzle game which I like, gives clues as to what it may mean if you know the meanings for each character.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote