Thread: What is Gundam?
View Single Post
Old 2006-08-15, 18:29   Link #47
4Tran

We are thinking the same thing: kids 12 and under. UC Gundam is no more violent than a great many anime for children. Strangely enough, the older shows seem to be more likely to have more violence than the newer ones. Having characters dying may be depressing, but it can be found in shows as kid-friendly as Sailor Moon. There’s even non-North America mainstream kids shows that have lots of cruel deaths as well – Doctor Who comes immediately to mind.

UC shows may be too violent for children, but that’s mostly a case of cultural differences. Anime, and many, many other kinds of older shows used to be much slower-paced than we are used to now. They would only boring for children now because people’s tastes have changed. Speaking for myself, I would have loved watching UC Gundam shows as a child; in fact, I would have probably enjoyed it more then than I do now.

As a rule, anime TV shows are all designed for kids. The only exceptions are the ones that air in late-night time slots. Gundam TV shows are not among them.