View Single Post
Old 2012-01-09, 07:49   Link #555
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
It isn't a weekly update but , it's two attempts to try news stuff and I would really appreciate any constructive comments:
Of the two, I like this one more. It might just be how you have the relative monochrome and then the red apple, but I think it's how you make the apple the focus of the sig that I like (at least I assume that's the effect you're going for). The background look a bit chaotic, though. You have swirls in some places and arcing lines in others, and the lines kinda go everywhere at once. My suggestion would be to use either the swirls or the lines, and if you go with the lines try to keep them moving in the same relative direction. The apple would be really good to use here. Having them radiate outwards omnidirectionally would look more put together than having them jutting every which way. Also, you might want to change your cropping of the girl holding the apple to show as much of her body as you need to in order to show that she's the one holding the apple; the disconnect between the face and hand can cause some confusion. The color choices alleviate that a bit, but it's something to consider and keep in mind. Finally, I can see where the border color came from, but to me red is never a good choice for a border, simply because of how it just slams right into the eyes. In this case, the red does actually work because of how you have the colors set up, but it's another thing to keep in mind.

Quote:
This one seems a bit busy to me. I like the idea, but it's the flower effects pull my eyes all over the sig at once. It could be the colors, but it could also be the blurs. I think I understand the idea behind doing that, but the end result doesn't seem to be what you intended. Speaking of, the flowers look a bit too blurred to me; I had to squint to tell they were blurred flowers and not a simple brush application. I can see a lot of blocks and other shapes in the background, and I'm assuming their intentional. I don't think they work out too well, though; they clash with the smooth blurs and colors you do have, and it actually looks like you left some of the original image in. With so much of the sig being the smooth coloration, the sharply defined objects, even faded out, contrast with the sig. I love the cropping and angling of the girl, though, and it's a really good example of my recommendation about regarding showing a lot of the body. If you'd just focused on her face, the effect wouldn't have been the same.

I hope this was helpful.