View Single Post
Old 2012-02-22, 00:29   Link #484
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Physicists Create a Working Transistor From a Single Atom

I am not going to pretend that I fully understand any of this, but the potential for this should be quite amazing, yes?
The headline can be misleading as this is not the first time this has been done by any decade-long stretch of the imagination. They've made it better and can now do it with precision as opposed to most previous methods being random deposition techniques that were largely hit or miss (largely miss, and very costly). That said, I'd be curious to see a follow up on this and how well parallel set-ups of these adatoms will work in practice to carry a signal. Its great that they made one and they can take that to the bank and make hundreds of thousands of them, but I'm more curious in their functionality and whether or not the separation between them is important and if it is (I don't see why it wouldn't be, since these atoms will begin to influence each other as you bring them close) how important is it (or how sensitive are these transistors to their neighbors)?

As for quantum computing... this may help solve the problem of scalability (assuming we don't see issues from the above concern though I'd imagine it would likely be controllable with extensive cooling) but the largest hurdle for a *good* quantum computer remains in the issues of decoherence and the ability for gate logic to be resolved before the decoherence time runs out. Plants can do it, I'm sure we'll figure it out one day too.