View Single Post
Old 2011-03-20, 16:36   Link #271
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikou View Post
Whom do you respect more: the man who forgives the person who killed his wife? Or the man who hunts the killer down and blows his brains out with a shotgun?

I respect the former far more.
You're creating a completely disingenous false dichotomy here. It's perfectly within a man's right to forgive whoever killed his wife... but that man must still face justice. There's a reason the state, not the victims, prosecute crimes. You are committing an offense against more than just the victim.
Quote:
Everyone else is dead, what difference do the events make to them?
How myopic. I wasn't aware Captain Kawabata, Okonogi, Kasumi, the surviving relatives of all of the servants and Dr. Nanjo, the students at Fukuin, the police, people Maria and Jessica and Battler went to school with, Asumu's family, the police, and anyone casually interested in justice being done for the deceased were all dead.
Quote:
Evil had already won, evil wins at the beginning of every mystery novel. The purpose of the mystery is to deliver some justice to the culprits to prevent some future tragedy from occurring again at the hands of those same culprits, not to prevent evil from "winning". In Umineko, there are no culprits left, and hence, no reason to know the truth.
No. Evil doesn't win in a mystery story precisely because the wheels of the genre turn to bring light to what would otherwise be lost to justice. Evil only wins when the culprit gets away with it for good.
Quote:
Please explain to me: what good would knowing the truth do for anyone living? Protecting the reputations of the dead is not something I am concerned about; they are dead and do not care.
Again, some people may do better to know the truth, and that aside, protecting and upholding truth is morally right. It's the right thing to do.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote