View Single Post
Old 2012-11-29, 17:26   Link #31260
goldendust

I just reread all of Umineko again.

Just wondering did Erika/Bernkastel work out that Shannon and Kannon were the same person in the 5th game when all of the time people were gathered in the parlor? The red truth said that everyone on the island in the parlor rather then listing the names.

Also in the 6th game, Erika made a comment after Batter jokingly asked if would be disappointing if nobody died, then Erika said "it would be troublesome if our numbers have not thinned out by tomorrow morning" to which Shannon had a reacton. Was Eriak prehaps addressing Shannon instead of Battler with that comment.

Also in 6th game, Erika has no interest in finding the culprit but rather wanting to trap Battler in a logic error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
While true, the problem with Beatrice as portrayed as a culprit on the boards is that most of what she does doesn't seem to clearly work toward any particular end at all. The Love Duel implies she's trying to come to a decision. But murdering anyone does not help this decision be made. In fact, it makes all three of the decisions impossible, leaving suicide as the only answer.

Now you can say "Well, she is suicidal on top of being homicidal," but then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense why she'd kill anyone. There's no reason to kill people if you just have to choose the direction of your life. There's no ability to choose the direction of your life if you kill people. It's a seemingly infinite loop of negative reinforcement suggesting to Beatrice that she ought not harm anyone, as otherwise she will never get an outcome that she is accepting of.

And if we cut out the decision-making process, we seem to be left with a motiveless series of murders. It just doesn't make any sense, even for a partially insane individual. It's such a significant departure from rationality that it just doesn't appear that anyone would arrive at the decision to behave in that manner. Particularly so when doing so necessarily precludes all scenarios the culprit actually desires.

About the only explanation I can think of to get around this is to say "She was so frustrated by her inability to reach a decision on three separate but acceptable potential outcomes that she just threw up her hands and decided to destroy herself and everyone around her out of sheer rage." I could see even a basically sane person becoming upset like this if they were indecisive enough... probably not enough to kill random uninvolved people, mind you, but at least upset enough to make a poor impulse decision that cuts them off from any of their desired choices. But then that essentially means the motive of the culprit was extreme indecision. As interesting motives go, that isn't exactly one of them.

Didn't Kannon/Shannon say that their duel was a mere farce before Shannon shot him. I do not think that love duel was suppose represent coming to a decision as it did not really matter one way or another who won. It is not like that when Shannon won that Beatrice was unable to receive love from battler.

I figured that Beatrice's motivation in terms of the game based on the magical theme of the story was to create a catbox where everyone is happy.

Basically the catbox was created with the bomb that leaves nobody alive or any evidence. After all in the end of every game, it is mentioned that they will reach the golden land.

As for the murders,wanting Batter to rmember and someone solving the epitaph. I figured it was the risk part of her magic. Magic cannot come true without risk. In fact I would imagine that Beatrice would have wanted to lose.

Last edited by goldendust; 2012-11-30 at 04:48.
goldendust is offline   Reply With Quote