View Single Post
Old 2013-04-07, 11:23   Link #81
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfury View Post
Reading that actually made me think you were describing a real life person rather than an anime character. While exaggerations in bulk do exist, there is some sense of realism in their personalities rather than being carbon copies of trope(s).
Well, while I obviously haven't known anyone who has quite the wicked tongue and general brusqueness as Kirino towards Kyousuke, I have definitely known people in real life who have the same sort of self-destructive tendencies (used to success, think they can handle everything themselves, always put on a front, don't open up to anyone), and have had to go through the same sort of harsh life lessons. And I also think these people, even in real life, tend to be a bit hard to understand. So I definitely think there's some subtlety to her character that goes beyond just her unpleasantness and, in that way, I think she's somewhat realistic. Overachievers tend not to be great people (or at least not as great as they project) once you get to know their true selves. The only difference is that Kirino's flaws are exaggerated towards Kyousuke so we can see it more clearly.