View Single Post
Old 2009-04-07, 20:27   Link #35
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I decided to test this for myself and here are the results. I opened the same video file, and have both of them played in the background. After 7 minutes, I took a screenshot of the Activity Monitor. Here are my results

It looked as if mplayer is using less, but if you combine MPlayer OS X Extended with the mplayer window, it uses more memory than just using Quicktime to play the video. Too bad Perian doesn't have full support for ASS (such as special font effects like fading, etc.)

After 21 minutes, I noticed that MPlayer Window memory usage skyrocketed to around 74 MB of memory. I guess Discerptor was right on mplayer having a big memory leak... but I wouldn't agree on using VLC though...

Edit: Placed it in a graph so it's easier to interpret the results
Spoiler for graph:
Thanks for testing this and showing your results. I'm sure I would use Mplayer all the time if I had more RAM, but I only have 1GB of ram, and so the need to restart the computer to get that ram back (enough to work in photoshop + bridge, at least) can be somewhat of a hassle.

Don't get me wrong though, I love anime_layer's Mplayer OSX Extended and I use Mplayer more than VLC (due to VLC's strange h264 reading problems on some releases), but because of the memory leak, I usually just use Perian.

Last edited by Proudleaf; 2009-04-08 at 00:54.