View Single Post
Old 2008-06-07, 09:24   Link #952
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
To all those defending Comartemis, most notably perhaps Keroko:

in our own way, so are we...we just seem to be rubbing the bureau in his face...

Ultimately, we can't, and shouldn't be able to tell Comartemis what to write or how.

What we can do is point out issues that we think that may cause him problems. He has every right to choose to do it anyway, of course...

But, well, I for one am worried that his attitude to the bureau has been tainted by exposure to OuterCadia.

I honestly can't tell whether he's aiming to reduce or remove the Bureau presence because he genuinely doesn't like it, or because he wants to say 'screw you!' to all the people who keep bringing it up...

and that's significant, because while the first is fine, the second is likely to cause trouble in the long run simply because that kind of irrational venting simply doesn't hold together well, and can lead to bad continuity and bad writing.

please note, this is not intended as any kind of analysis or as an insult. I'm no Psychologist; I can only tell you the way I might feel...

And in that situation, I can tell you I'd be tempted to knock back the Bureau out of spite simply to be contrary...

This is what I'm worried about.

If he wants to reduce or remove the influence of the Bureau from his story and can do so in a rational and justified manner (eg, Nanoha and co never join the Bureau at large; Nanoha and co go straight into the Navy; Nanoha and co manage to hit up a bunch of senior officers for favours somehow; even having the Bureau fold/overthrown/destroyed before the events of A's) then that's fine

I just don't want to see him shoot himself in the foot and end up in the situation of being asked "but why are the Bureau rolling over for every one of the Ace's requests?"

and feeling forced to answer " They Just ARE, OK!?" all the while thinking <That'll teach those OuterCadia sods to try and tell me how to run my story...>

Better answers could be

" they've pulled in a lot of favours, and refusing could cause political trouble"

or

" The Bureau High command has their own agenda on this"

or

" The Higher ups have decided to give them just enough rope..."

In one line, the whole situation can be resolved, and that's all that need be said of it.

I (and I'd like to hope, all of us) just want to see him write the best he can, without leaving anything out, without leaving uncovered gaps or plot holes, without writing himself into a corner, without him having to stretch suspension of disbelief too far...

Like I said before, any question we can ask, other readers can ask...

it's OK not to answer the question...as long as you acknowledge the question has been asked.
stormturmoil is offline   Reply With Quote