Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-15, 20:15   Link #1435
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or they had just come off the end of one of their Wars with Mars and either feeling really confident in their upgraded ships, or felt they needed an enemy to keep the planetary population together (or their funding).
Kinda reminds me with humanity after the Dilgar war, thinking they could make a big showy first contact with the Minbari. Though that was more of a case of mutual negligence leading to shots being fired, and a war starting. Mind, in this case it was the humans deciding to open fire right from the start.

All this DOES kinda put the earth leadership in a bad light...most of humanity has probably been fighting to the death under the belief that they're fighting an utterly alien and xenocidal opponent who won't take prisoners....one can't help but think of all those Okinawans who threw themselves to their deaths because of stories of how brutal the US Marines were. To a degree, there's a matter of trying to resist tyranny, but one can't help but think how potentially self serving democratic leaders who'd be willing to risk this much are. I can't help but imagine the corrupt democratic politicians from Legend of Galactic Heroes, who in the name of political ambition engaged in rather self destructive behavior for their nation.

Humanity in Yamato is more and more looking like the Japanese in World War 2...but it's a much more reflective look on the part of the creators I think.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote