View Single Post
Old 2011-06-14, 22:24   Link #120
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I actually went from completely despising her mother to some grudging respect for her. I mean, until this point, all I got about the mother was she sends her daughter off to an inn while she runs away with her boyfriend, and then sends her daughter a text message with a photo of her having the time of her life eating crabs etc. LoL. At the time, I was like, "wow, what a mom, that's exactly the type of message I'd send my daughter after I send her off to a home I ran away from".

Here, we see she's not really as shallow as she seemed way back in episode one. It's clear she loves her daughter, something I couldn't have said up until this point. She was also remarkably mature in her conversation with her, once she dropped the pretenses. That said, I have to wonder how the entire premise of the show even works now that she's no longer dodging the debt collectors with her boyfriend. As in, there doesn't actually seem to be a narrative reason for Ohana to be working at the inn (though I suppose I could have missed it as I've skimmed a few episodes) anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I'm hardly nominating the mother for mother of the year rewards, but it's good to see she's got more substance to her than we saw in episode one.

I really liked how she went and gave Ohana the snacks and drinks without telling her to come home. Sometimes, as a parent, you have to let your children play out their feelings, but you can still show some care without interfering with that.

It's also pretty obvious the low scores were motivated by the huge hotel coming in. Yes, it's a mockery of the review system, but that's how real life works, and I'm glad there was no fairy tail resolution to that, though I'm guessing at some point in the season, the big hotel will get their comeuppance.

And, we know there are issues between the mother and the grandmother and the inn. I'm sure it'll be revealed in time.

Watching relationships on screen can always be difficult, as plot tends to require each half being as obtuse as possible, while we the audience want to reach through the screen and smack them around for being idiots. A love triangle(s) is clearly being set up.