Thread: Macross "Canon"
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-26, 15:30   Link #19
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I'm not impatient at all, but it sounded like you wanted to declare your point of view as the definite one. Leave yourself as much time as you like.
My 'impatient' comment comes from the fact that you seem to assume that everything that's up so far is all you need to make a judgement on what Kawamori's pov is.

From what I can tell, that hasn't changed since that 1998 interview. For me, the clincher appears in the Master Files - though I only have access to one of them - but this won't be going up for a while.

In other words, neither my pov nor yours matters (either on canon or on what Kawamori actually thinks) - Kawamori's does, and I don't think you have enough information to make a judgement on what that is yet.

It also amazes me that you put so much stock in possible interpretations of what the creators say in interviews, but seemingly refuse to accept interpretation of scenes / incidents in the series that differ from yours.

@Tak
I would actually like to know when he started talking about Macross like this, because it's certainly one of the more interesting stances I've seen a creator take. And I personally like it better than the one that George Lucas takes...(or the one that the RahXephon creators supposedly take wrt the movie and the series...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.miller View Post
Thus making a parallel to the call of duties and such. So going with that logical one can assume Robotech belongs in there too (at there very least the macross saga), right? But I do not think I am alone in saying robotech does not belong (even if I have fond childhood memories of it). I guess what I am saying is its fine going the nothing is real approach, but wouldn't you have to accept robotech as the red headed step child? If that's the case forget all these license problems. Have Global fire up the peace pipe and pass it to the left cuz the right ways wrong! Can't we all just get along.
Not necessarily, because - according to the 'different interpretations' idea - what's important are the works (series, movies, novels, Master Files etc) that are supposedly produced in the Macross universe. For example, Macross II isn't considered to be one of those works, and that is reflected in the official chronology. Needless to say, Robotech isn't one either.

For the moment, here's a Westerner's perspective from before 1997.
Here's the chronology compiled on the Macross Compendium. On each page, you can click on the "history" to see where the information has come from. The chronology I'm intending to put up here is more 'bare-bones' than that, for reasons I will state when I put it up.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-10-26 at 15:49.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote