View Single Post
Old 2010-12-14, 14:03   Link #173
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
Still researching the double meaning of the name Bridget(that foreign cosplay girl).
[/off-topic]
It could simply be a terrible pun (english wordplay -- foreign cosplay girl is a "bridge" from other cultures, hence "Bridg-et"). That would be pretty clever since a lot of Japanese anime names have multiple story/personality references built-in.

Quote:
Well, in fact they who dance at the front row are "gross otaku". btw that dance is called "ota-gei" (otaku performance).
Of course even they know that enthusiastic attitude like that is gross.
Also enthusiastic anime fans are often calling themselves "kimo-ota" (gross otaku) too. it's something like a self-mocking.
Nobody care about it. Completely no problem.
Expectations can be played with in irony. Though my profile is geek-deluxe (sci-fi, anime, gaming, etc), I *look* like I strolled out of a Harley bike bar, an SCA meet, or an extra from LOTR - it throws people off. When I worked down at NASA in Houston, the Hollywooders would periodically want to film movies there and would put out the call for "engineers" as background extras. The engineers would show up and there would be this inevitable "no no no, we wanted *engineers*!" and we'd say "we ARE the engineers you dumbass fine arts dropout" (in our UN diversity of sex, race, garb, colors of hair not found in nature, leather, metal, country, prep, etc).

"gross otaku" (kimo-ota) can be quite funny as a term when someone who looks quite unlike the stereotype uses it.