View Single Post
Old 2012-09-26, 15:08   Link #42
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
There is a contradiction between your "view of life", and one of your favorites that is GTO.

GTO is ultimately a positivist manga, no matter how twisted or fucked up some individuals in there can be. That is one of the messages of this work, people does cruel things to others, but they do it because they have their own reasons, even the pettiest ones, to do so.

But as long as someone tries hard and well, you can bring the good that was inside those people out of them. And that goes from Anko, who bullied Yoshikawa (one of those secondary characters who went through one of the most staggering character development of the series) to Misuzu Daimon (the "evil" new school principal) from the final arc. And that goes even to Miyabi Aizawa who did a good job at being hated by readers.

I have drawn my own view of life from my own father's life and movies like Schindler's List and The Pianist. From my father, it's something like, you can go through the worst of hell and you can earn your own small happy ending: he was forced into a labor camp during the Khmer Rouge period, and movies like Killing Fields can give you a glimpse of how horrible those can be, and yes, he speak other languages which could mean death for him, and a LOT of his family members died during that period. But in the end, he survived and had another family, it's his small piece of heaven. The keyword is "earn", something you do with the right course of action, at the right time at the right place, with enough mental fortitude to endure the shit that Fate throws at you.

From the Pianist and The Schindler's List, I have been drawn to believe that humans can be horrible to each other, but there are always some who are genuinely good and trying to make this world a better place, or caring for humanity as a whole. Those people, trying to do better and redeeming humanity through their actions, are why life is worth living and why humanity is awesome.
It's true GTO is a positive manga that is ultimately uplifting, but it also doesn't discount the terrible pai ad suffering that normal Japanese people go through.

I mean one of the villains is a girl who was gang raped and another is someone who was driven insane by bullying. And Saejima, hands down my favorite character, is a corrupt cop who sells police evidence for money!

I guess what I'm saying is, it's true GTO has a happy ending, but the aime itself is not just stupidly happy and optimistic. At times it can actually be extremely sad and then at other times it can be laugh out loud funny.

Which is why GTO is such a great series.
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote