View Single Post
Old 2006-08-21, 18:23   Link #326
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1
Absolutely no interest at all?
No. My TV is a lot smaller and has a lot lower resolution than my computer screen does... and it's not like I leave the computer much when I'm at home, so personally I don't see the point at all. Now if I had some huge-ass plasma TV or something, I'd probably just use my laptop and a normal DVI cord instead. In my experience, I find computers to be a lot less of a pain to work with than set-top boxes...

Quote:
The point was just to explain to SirCane that VFR in MP4 is on par with MKV. Had I known that the inaccuracies were as insignificant as 0.3ms, I wouldn't have even wasted my time mentioning it. No one cares about 0.3ms, but as far as I was concerned (without being in the know), it could have been 0.0001ms or 100ms, I really had no idea of the scale of it.
I think you missed the point. I just grabbed some number out of thin air... The thing is, there's a parameter to mkvmerge that lets you specify with what precision the timecodes should be stored; by default they're accurate to the millisecond, but that can be changed.

Quote:
Yes, good catch. DTS also (not a big loss IMO).
I didn't even mention DTS, since noone sane releases anything with it (Y HALO THAR, BITRATE WASTE!).

Quote:
Obviously at low bitrates though, halving the sample rate is preferable to having annoying compression artifacts, ringing, flange and whatever; but it doesn't cut it for high quality IMO, not at the ~96-128kbps range.
Actually, most raws I've bothered to poke at the audio of seem to have had a lowpass filter applied at ~16kHz for some reason, meaning that lowering the samplerate to 32kHz wouldn't make much of a difference. Not that I'd do that, but anyway...
Example from Night Head Genesis ep 4: http://kalle.blomdahls.net/random/spectrogram.png
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote