View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 13:02   Link #813
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
You've nailed down quite a number of fair points- you certainly know how to do a proper review.
Thanks! Well, after watching it, I thought the K-On movie deserved it.

When I first heard about the K-On movie I was afraid that KyoAni was just going in for an easy cashcow, but I could tell (and not just from the animation, but also from the dialogue, writing, and voice-acting) that the full team behind this really were trying to make something special with this (and I think they succeeded). A serious effort deserves a serious review.

I do think that KyoAni succeeded in the sense that:

1. Somebody new to the K-On franchise could enjoy this. I agree with GMT on that.

2. Existing K-On fans should really enjoy this.

3. The K-On movie does succeed at being a franchise highlight in terms of overall quality.

Quote:
I personally ended up giving it a 9/10 because taking into account that K-ON never exactly focused heavily on plot to begin with, I judged it by how well it stacked on top of the original seasons.
That's fair. I wavered between 8/10 and 9/10 myself, but my thinking was the same as GMT's. I graded it as I would any movie. So take that 8/10 as a compliment, as it definitely is (even some of the Kara no Kyoukai movies didn't get over 8/10 from me). It's not like me giving 8/10 to a lone episode. My standards for movies are a bit higher.

Quote:
In that aspect, I thought they did beautifully; not only did they continue the story in a way, they also played around with elements that added depth to events in the first and second seasons (even paying tribute to them, KyoAni style). The animation looked "Hyouka-stunning" at points even, and overall it stayed true to K-ON's "not-perfect, but perfectly lovable" animation style. Plus I loved how they spent time actually recording the existing songs again for the movie, instead of just shoving in the studio versions; it really gave it that "live" feeling that enhances the atmosphere.
I agree. Yeah, Hyouka-level sounds about right.

One thing I probably didn't delve into enough was how well the main cast as a whole came off. I didn't feel like either of them were short-changed, and the chemistry between them was simply delightful. And they were all very true to character. I could kind of tell that Yui and Ritsu's seiyu were really hamming it up for this movie, but that's to be expected. They didn't overdo it, they just brought it to the right level for charismatic characters in a movie.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-07-21 at 13:15.