View Single Post
Old 2014-12-15, 16:48   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
In truth, what makes Urobuchi's works so good are its characters.
I somewhat disagree. I think Urobuchi's greatest strength as a writer is his ability to write fairly complex and engaging narratives with minimal plot holes or reader/viewer need to suspend disbelief. Now, Gen isn't downright perfect, as even Madoka Magica had a few small plot points that were a bit of a stretch, but Gen is still far far better than average when it comes to what I'd call "tight writing". And I'd argue that Psycho-Pass Season 2's greatest deficiency compared to Season 1 is that Season 2's writing has a lot more plot points that can be critiqued heavily from a basic believability standpoint, as you yourself have demonstrated.

That being said, I think that Gen's character work is actually a bit under-appreciated, so I'm not going to disagree with you that strongly here.

Quote:
I can understand why people would like this show, but I very much doubt they like it for the same reasons they liked the first season.
That would certainly be my experience, yes. Psycho-Pass Season 1 was much better fodder for the sort of political/philosophical discussions that sci-fi excels at when sci-fi is at its best. Season 2 has this sort of Hollywood action blockbuster vibe to it where it's almost a constant thrill ride involving a steady stream of cliffhangers and "shock and awe" moments, so it holds a certain amusement and entertaining intensity to me. But after awhile, that can numb a bit if the ideas supporting it all aren't well fleshed-out, and that is a problem I'm starting to see crop up a bit in Season 2.