View Single Post
Old 2012-05-03, 10:41   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with a lot of what Last Sinner wrote.

I think that part of the issue is a common desire for viewer comments on a show to be overwhelmingly, if not entirely, positive.

I often see posts like "What is with all the hate this show is getting?!". Then I'll go back over the last page or two of the series thread or episode thread for that show, and I might see one blunt (but short) very critical post, and a couple more mildly critical posts, but the solid majority of posts being complimentary or even praising of the show. If a show is getting 60 to 70% praise, and maybe 20% critique, is that really such a big deal? Does that really constitute "a lot of hate"? If you're a big fan of the show there's still plenty of people agreeing with you, so I can't see why more people can't just let some of the less complimentary feedback slide.

Honestly, even for shows I love (like Madoka Magica), I like seeing at least some diversity of opinion on the show since that makes for better series discussion, imo. So even for shows I love, all-praise all-the-time is very boring to me.

I think that if more people could just accept that every show is going to have at least a few critics, and that's no big deal, then discussion here would be a bit better (it's usually very good as it is, in fairness).

I will say that on some shows I'm leery of giving even mildly critical feedback because that seems to create contentious tangents, or even mild flamewars.

I honestly wonder where this seeming expectation of all-praise all-the-time is coming from. Obviously, most if not all people here are watching shows in the hopes of enjoying them. But hope doesn't always become reality, and so people will sometimes be disappointed in a show that they watched.

People here almost always want to like the shows that they watch. So when they make critical points it's not to pick on the fans (at least not usually), but it's rather to simply express their dissatisfaction and what caused it.

I don't see why that alone should be a problem, although for some shows, it does appear to be.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-05-03 at 18:50.