View Single Post
Old 2013-04-08, 03:11   Link #32
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Cons:

2. The metaphysics/supernatural elements of this show are weird. Even by Key's standards. After a full 26 episodes, I still have only the vaguest of ideas of what's going on. That darker, promotional bit for Refrain just made me even more confused. With Little Busters, I find myself thinking that the story would work perfectly fine without most of the supernatural elements. Why couldn't it just be a story of Riki helping out a bunch of girls over a few months while you have an overarching narrative of bringing a group of 9 great friends together to play a climatic baseball game? I suspect Refrain will justify the supernatural elements, but going strictly by this 26-episode two-cour original season alone, I really don't see what they add to the story. I can't escape the impression that they're getting half-assed, like the anime can't make up its mind between cutting them out entirely or incorporating them fully. And keep in mind that I'm saying all of this as an anime-only viewer.
Well to be fair, the viewer is not suppose to understand the KEY MAGIC in this show until Riki understands it for plot reasons.

Kanon had it's own magic, but it felt natural in that show. I didn't feel I had to try and understand it, since it suited it's story very well.

Clannad on the other hand, to this day, I still don't understand HOW the magic in that one works... I THINK I understand why it's there, but where did it come from??

The KEY MAGIC in Little Busters has a very good reason for being there, but learning about it is still very far off. IMO I think it would be best to not think about it until Riki has to deal with it. There is still so much story to tell before that even happens, enough to keep the viewer distracted and entertained.