View Single Post
Old 2009-05-26, 20:54   Link #2207
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
But I'd think the sign would be more referring to the apparently typical teenager who feels that the whole world hates them and that nothing is fair because their parents won't let them stay out past midnight and buy dangerous substances.
People ask me why I bother to read books that weren't originally written in English, or books that weren't written specifically for obsessive teenage girls. This is why. It's hard to find something to read now that isn't either written to a ridiculous degree of shittiness or Twilight.

Twilight's written pretty shittily too, but it's so damn popular that it gets its own category. Really, at the bookstore in my mall, they managed to cram in a section devoted to Twilight. Aside from the rows and rows of it at the front of the store, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
So they should bury themselves in poorly-written fiction novels to stave off their 'angst', according to Chapters.
Chapters, why have you failed me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
And teen novels aren't, in general, angsty. At least not the ones I've read.
They really aren't, but they try. Unsuccessfully, of course, but the constant flood of signs and advertisements calling series like Twilight "dark" and "angsty" and "deep" seem to have convinced the majority of people my age that Twilight is what you read if you're an emotionally complex, unpredictable and rebellious teen. I'd rather have character development and an actual plot over looking popular and cool while reading.

I never really associated reading with giving off any image other than "oh hey, that person is reading a book" or "STAY THE FUCK AWAY I'M READING", but apparently if you read books that have movies or TV series based off of them (or vice versa), or if you read whatever's on the Popular Fiction shelf, you will be as well-liked and popular as the book itself.

Sorry. I'm done ranting now.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote