View Single Post
Old 2009-03-22, 03:11   Link #62
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Well, I like techno/magic rambling. I'm the type that enjoys the nitty gritty details behind a spell rather then just "fire da lazor!"

Admitedly they don't have to explain every spell (and certainly not when it interrupts the flow of a battle or worse the story in general), but mostly the extra info is most welcome.
Yes, as I said elsewhere earlier today, Index's genre is basically "preachy sci-fi". Nearly universally, the people complaining about the show's "preachy-ness" wanted it to be an action show (and maybe they thought, after watching the first few episodes, that that was what it was going to be). But if you like preachy sci-fi (and there's plenty of it on mainstream sci-fi TV, though less in anime), then this show and its level of exposition is usually okay. It's a slow-paced show with moments of action, not an action-packed show with moments of exposition. The balance isn't "wrong", it's just not what some (dare I suggest "less patient"? ) people wanted. And that's okay; ideally, this season will have weeded out those to whom it doesn't appeal.

The problem is, when next season rolls around, a lot of the same people will start watching the show again, and complain about the very same thing right here on this forum. Anime viewers, in general, seem to have very little wisdom or discernment. As much as I'd like to say "they should know better by now", that doesn't often seem to happen. After all, they watched the entire first season even after it became rather obvious that this is the sort of show that it is. See also Zero no Tsukaima, where the viewers come back like masochists only to complain bitterly about how the novels are being massacred -- again. And each time they act like it's some sort of new thing, like "I thought maybe it'd be different this time!" You know what they say about people who keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results...

Moral of the story: Now that people know what sort of show this is, hopefully they'll be able to make a smarter decision about whether this is the sort of show they want to watch. I, for one, will be very much looking forward to the continuation (and am very much enjoying re-watching the show on Blu-Ray).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Huh? This is the last ep? Well that was anticlimactic...
Well, it's pretty obviously not the end. It's just "the end for now". They're not even close to resolving any of the central plot points yet.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-03-22 at 03:22.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote