View Single Post
Old 2008-08-21, 20:30   Link #49
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I can't help but read it as "for the good of anime-only watchers" rather then "for the good of everyone".
Well, even if I do accept this argument (which I don't think is quite right or fair), my answer would still be "so what?" Rules exist to protect those who would have the most to lose if the rule was broken and, quite simply, anime-only viewers have the most to lose by being spoiled. I don't think it's unreasonable for you and I to be inconvenienced for their benefit, because above all, I don't want to ruin anyone else's enjoyment of anime. That being said, I really don't see it as a big inconvenience -- if there's something you want to discuss but can't find the right place for it, feel free to post the topic, and we'll find a place. No one's trying to quash discussion, just making sure that people know what they're getting into and are able to make a choice.

I admit that there are some circumstances that aren't handled well given the layout of the forums right now, especially for series that don't have subforums. This does make for some weird workarounds that aren't perfect (like discussing the anime in a manga thread because you're talking about things that will happen in the anime's future). It's a compromise that isn't perfect. But the premise really is to slightly inconvenience "those who know" to protect the interests of "those who don't". No, it isn't perfectly equitable, but that's the nature of this problem: the exposure to the property isn't equitable, but we all need to co-exist.

"For the good of everyone" doesn't mean that everyone finds it good. That'd be totally impossible. The hope, though, is to find a compromise that everyone can at least live with. Nothing's perfect.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote