View Single Post
Old 2011-10-17, 19:29   Link #30
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
If DoW3 is like total war, I don't find it that appealing, rather to build my army from the bottom.
I do understand how many people prefer that. However I'm just trying to think of alternatives to the campaign in DOW 2, where you didn't build armies at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Another problem with large scale battles: considering how DoW2 made efforts to bring Space Marines closer to fluff power levels by making individual Space Marines powerful, having a massive-scale game ala Total War or Supreme Commander would make Space Marines rather difficult to implement if they plan on sticking to lore. Unless they make each individual Space Marine so absurdly powerful that it borders on imbalanced.
I'd actually argue against this. It didn't feel that *Space Marines* were particularly powerful in Dawn of War 2. It felt like the highly upgradable named Squad leader characters were very powerful, and that the other Marines were just not particularly impressive red shirts. Though keep in mind I haven't been playing the Multiplayer to much. You are right about the fluff Marines not working on the epic scale. Though I think it's more the way firepower scales with the size of a *fluff* Imperial Guard or Space Marine army.

It bassically comes down to the fact that while the average Imperial Guardsmen can't compare to a even a basic fluff Tactical Marine at all...Fluff Space Marine vehicles and artillery are merely a shoulder above individual examples of what the Guard have, and lack the scale.

A 5 man combat squad might scoff at the challenge presented at fighting 100 Guardsmen...but what about a Predator tank having to face 20 lemen Russ tanks? Or a Whirldwind getting into an artillery duel with 20 earth shaker cannons? Or what's a Space Marine company fighting as a unified formation supposed to do if Titans show up?

There's a reason the whole *angel of death* thing doesn't really show up in 40k tabletop or RTS. It's something that's more conducive to 1 man army action game sequences than army based combat games. There it tends to be more viable to represent Marines man for man standing a head and a shoulder above most enemies, rather than having them scraping by their ankles.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote