View Single Post
Old 2013-03-10, 14:33   Link #68
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You're really going over-the-top with this...
Yes, I tend to exaggerate to get my point across. Even so, the current Saki does remind me more of Mamoru than the old Saki.

Quote:
No, they haven't. Saki has chosen to take actions no less dangerous than they have.
Like what? She's only been running away and following directions (Tomiko's, her parents'). Not that I can blame her for that. There wasn't much she could do.

Quote:
I'm saying that if you compare Saki to the strongest people she has worked with, it will cause a skewed view of her character. They're not the standard for "moderate strength". They're the standard for heroic strength.
Who should I compare her with then? Her parents? Tomiko? Shisei? These are about the only remaining named character I can think of. Are they all exceptions, even though Saki is supposed to be the exception? (highest personality index in the academy's history)

Quote:
Then tell me where all the bold heroes were during the various shooting massacres that have plagued America in recent years and decades.

Satoru's level of strength is very much the exception. So is Inui's.
You can't be serious. Do you truly expect people (most of the time kids/teenagers) to stand up to guns? This would be insane, not bold.

Saki, while not as strong as the others, still has cantus. Something the writers seem to forget. She is not helpless. I at least expect her to be able to defend herself. She hasn't done that a single time in this arc. She's always protected by others. Having her stand still while a giant bug was about to eat her was the final straw for me.

Quote:
Did Saki showing a bit of disgust over bugs in any way, shape, or form seriously impede the mission she was on?

No, it didn't. So you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Good grief...
It was just an example showing how odd Saki's characterization has been. It was a very pointless and silly scene. She should have been able to blow away the insects or float above them. Was there really any point in adding that scene at such a crucial moment in the storyline? Was it truly the best time to show us Saki can't handle bugs? What were they trying to tell us exactly? They seemed to be going out of their way to make Saki look weaker than she truly is. That scene was out of place.

Quote:
How so? Even back then, Satoru was the one leading the charge.

And Saki still has what it takes to lead a village.
He only lead the charge because he got back his powers. And even then, Saki's advices were very valuable.

Saki overcame her fears and remained cool-headed throughout the whole ordeal. She saved Satoru on at least one instance. She was smart enough to figure how to undo the binding of Satoru's cantus. She acted bravely and pulled a first rate bluff on Squealer. And tons of other things I forget. She was very pro-active and not passive like she is now.

She was only 12 years old back then. Her 14 years old self was no different. I would have expected a 26 years old Saki to be even more resourceful.

Quote:
She has always been this way. She's always been very emotionally expressive. She's never been the person to lead the fight.

Anyway, if Shinji never bothered you, I don't see any good reason for Saki to bother you.
No, she has not always been this way. She is not a very aggressive person, but she is certainly not passive either. Her character is not acting the same way as before, and this is what bothers me.

Perhaps I've been overestimating her all along. I held her in very high regards before this arc. She was a very strong, smart, and yet still emotional heroine.