View Single Post
Old 2009-03-25, 19:15   Link #562
Ultenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Forgive me, but "out-of-character" seems to be used these days to make people's complaints look more acceptable and "professional". It's become some sort of code for "the characters acted in a way I didn't like, so I'm going to complain".

For what it's worth, I think they acted perfectly in character, but I'm biased since I've known what was coming for a while.

No offense meant at you, by the way, if you take it. I've just seen "out-of-character" thrown around a lot lately.
No offense taken. Out of character is a VERY valid complaint in regards to writing, and something that shouldn't be taken lightly. Yes, people in real life do things that are out of character, but by and large if you know someone well enough you can predict their reactions and actions. At this point in the story Taiga and Ryuuji should be developed enough that we should be able to predict their reactions, as well as Yasuko. The interactions between Ryuuji and Yasuko seemed so completely out of the blue. Not ONCE was it hinted there was any issues between them, they seemed to have a very wonderful and loving relationship.

And now suddenly over something as stupid as him wanting to work to help her out makes him move out and her disappear? There was no set up to that at all, there was one or two conversations about her wanting him not to work, but never anything to this extent. It's like the author just wanted a big twist at the end, but sorry I don't buy twists for thier own sake. It's shoddy writing and lazy, and no matter what context I strongly disagree with that type of storytelling. It's like writing a mystery story but never giving a single real hint to who the perpatrater is, well then OF COURSE it's going to be a surprise at the end.