Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 12:16   Link #1629
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Disagree . I believe that last minute lip talking thing sounded unbelievable to the animators since much communication would have been needed in such a short amount of time. Also, it would have been in Bentenmaru's interest to establish what dialog possible with ALL sides, since there was much potential for trading of live gun fire. Marika is supposed to be a pirate, which means the end justifies the mean, not a knight for whom proper due course is more important than results. You would expect a pirate to constantly search for better deals, although in this case, better in sense for everyone and not just Bentenmaru.
It turns out I had misunderstood when Marika contacted Yotof. I originally thought she did it after meeting him the first time, but after listening to her explanation again, I realized that happened only last week, after she noticed the Serenity ships approaching and delivered her speech stating the lives of the crew and Gruelle were her top priorities. I can only agree with you then. She knew the Bentenmaru and Gruelle were in danger and did what was in her power to protect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I don't think Marika actually planned ahead of time to hand the ship over to Grunhilde. What was negotiated was "These two girls are going to be running with very high emotions when they meet. If they can't come to an agreement, rather than let them push us all into killing each other, we will knock them out and negotiate this situation ourselves in a less emotionally volatile atmosphere."

Thus, I don't believe Marika ever intended to betray her employer. She simply acted to prevent the high-strung girls from getting everyone killed, and then took the time to more fully analyze the situation. Once they discovered that the Rose was failing, she realized the whole argument no longer mattered, and so with the knowledge that the royal family couldn't continue the way it had been regardless of what either Gruelle or Grunhilde may have wanted, they worked out what should be done with the Queen Serenity now.
If that's how it went, then I have no problem. This raises the question of what they would have done had the Rose been fully functional, however. Gruelle and Grunhilde's goals were diametrically opposed: one wanted to destroy the Rose, the other protect it. There was no way to make both of them happy.

Maybe luck didn't play any role and they did destroy the Rose as wontaek suggested. While it would have been necessary to conceal such an action from Grundhilde, I don't see why Marika would have had to lie to Gruelle about that though. Furthermore, it would mean Yotof and his men betrayed Grunhilde and the Royal Family (I assume most of them did not agree with Gruelle). It's not impossible of course, but I don't think that's very likely.