View Single Post
Old 2013-07-21, 09:12   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Apple is evil with how they price things.
Some people feel that Apple devices are overpriced, others feel that you're getting what you pay for. I've heard a small number of Android converts who made statements like 'I always thought Apple was overpriced but then I finally bought one for myself and it was so worth it, I can't believe I was using my previous trash for so long.'

The good news for you is that your demands list is fairly small. While I don't know about the 1080p video part for non-iOS devices, iOS, Android, or Surface should be able to accommodate what you want to do. The question then becomes what other features you need or want, and what your price point is. As an example of compromises, the Ainol Novo 9 Spark looks really nice (like an iPad, hmm...) and has a really nice screen, but it lacks Bluetooth. Another Ainol tablet has a battery life of around six or seven hours, which is on the lower side for a tablet. Ainol is a small player in Android tablets, but the point is, be careful when going over the specifications. ZDNet has a small list that might be a nice starting point.

I'd advise against the Surface at this point. Even though it has Microsoft behind it, it's doing rather poorly at this moment. The screen isn't bad... unless you compare it to the tablets with high pixel density. It won't be receiving the same attention and support that iOS and Android devices are receiving.

I'm firmly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, so it's what I know best. Regarding pricing, Apple sells refurbished models and gives them the exact same warranty as if they were new. The iPad 3 should be capable of doing everything that you want, and with the iPad 5 likely to be released this autumn, the cost of iPad 3's should be further driven down (and of course, iPad 4's). However, it's a bit harder to get video onto the iPads. If you avoid jailbreaking, you'll probably end up remuxing or re-encoding episodes. That's a headache that you don't have to deal with on Android.