View Single Post
Old 2007-07-28, 05:11   Link #703
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geki~ View Post
I'm thinking how to phrase I what I want to say.~

The animes that are made after hgames (I've watched a lot since my friends have been recommending but I always find myself disappointed after finishing them because they are just too much alike.) Have all this specific aura around them. First there's, of course a guy, and one after another he starts meeting girls more or less gathering them around him and finally getting lost in his feelings becauseall the girls end up falling for the guy. The fragile story the animes have, starts to develop in the last few episodes, until then it's how to say, the part in the game where the guy has to win the girls to his side.
The genre is called romance, so it is bound to be about character feelings and how those develop. I don't see how that Applies to Air though, as there was barely any romance at all, if any. Meaning there was no pondering over the feelings and such. (There is romance in Air Movie, but since there are no side characters there is no "multiple girl" aspect either). Yuuichi in Kanon was never mixed up with his feelings either. Nor do i find the two to have weak story by any means. I am getting the feeling you simply dislike romance ... why watch it then ?

Quote:
Various events happen that strengthen the bond between the guy and one character than between the guy and another character. The final story part is then when it concentrates on one specific character, his and her,almost every time tragic, past. This might sound interesting and touching if you watch one, maybe two shows of this genre but after the third show, you can already see how it's going to develop and even end.
Thats called character interactions and development. You can not have a story without them. I have watched more than my share of these shows, but much more often than not i find them satisfying to very good. Most of the time these animes are all about characters and character interactions, so there is little wonder you get a fair share of that. Tragic past at least is a past worth talking about - it isn't needed, but is a good way to add character depth and help explain the motivations. Aside from the fact that a tragic past for the male lead is not very common.

You make it sound like this 'problem' is tied to this genre only. What is original then? Originality as a concept has been long since gone, as it is almost impossible to come up with an idea that hasn't been touched up before in some way. (Sola comes close from recent animes that introduced quite some twists and turns in the story). The presentation is what counts. "Many girls popping up around the guy for no reason" is just a setting that is not worth complaining about, just like with action where some teenager manages to get some sort of powers in some dumb way or manages to get in to a giant mecha in some way and turns out to be an expert in piloting it.

Quote:
My point is that all the game based animes have the same basis
Almost every anime of same genre has same basis - that is unavoidable. Heck, thats what being a specific genre means - you know what to expect to a degree My firm belief is that the presentation and how the show handles the plot is what counts, not the 'originality' of said plot.

Quote:
I also noticed that I have pretty much changed my attitude towards the animes I watch. I used to think like most anime watchers think and finding most of what I watched masterpieces But after reaching the 160 seen animes border it has kinda made me more picky. And yeah I think I'm turning into one of these typical Estonian anime fans. We're veeeeery cynical when it comes to certain genres tehehee~
I can be quite picky about what i watch, and can be quite the critic if i want to be. However, from all the shows i dropped game conversions would be the smallest part by far. I watch every genre there is (minus shoujo-ai/shounen-ai), going from slow paced slice of life to fast paced action and SciFi, but there is nothing that would indicate "game conversions being worse than any other genre" ...if anything it would be the opposite, going by the shows i have dropped. My suggestion would be to simply stay away from romance if that is not what you like ... other than that we will have to agree to disagree it seems.