View Single Post
Old 2007-12-16, 09:05   Link #44
Meatrose
Antihero

Tokkan: Yes, I understood that that was what you were referring to. Perhaps I should have explained myself a bit further... that is of course a general problem when the character being voiced is in fact much younger than the actual VA. And like you said; that is a problem for both English and Japanese dubs. What I was thinking (no matter what I wrote) was that the same problem goes for all characters (imo) in the general English dub... they all sound "fake", as opposed to most Japanese dubs where only child characters are haunted by that problem. And, hands down... of course there are a lot of Japanese VA's that perform below acceptable level. The difference in quality is still incredibly huge to me, but I guess you don't agree. Obviously.

And about that last quote... perhaps I should have proofread the text before posting, cause I get the feeling that you think I meant that those watching dubs are either below reading age or retarded. That was not what I meant at all. I actually have a friend who prefers dubs, and I really don't think of him as a retard.

What I did mean was that those responsible for material aiming for the target audience that Geass is aiming for getting dubbed is, in my honest opinion, treating their own customers as if they couldn't read. I mean, dubs exist only to let those unable to read in their own language a chance to experience and enjoy whatever is being shown. Or am I really wrong about all this? Perhaps I've simply assumed that everyone around me is as picky as I am when it comes to this.

Sirth: Yeah, I ordered all four Air-volumes at the same time in order to get them all like, a day after the release of the final volume, and they were delivered 2 days after the release. Made me really happy. =)

I gave the dub a chance (2 episodes)... like I always do every time I buy anime on DVD, but it was completely unwatchable to me. I could simply not enjoy the show due to the dub, and I do love Air. I've rated less than 1% of the anime I've seen as "10/10", but Air is one of them.

*sigh* This is generally (referring to the overall discussion) why I never post in dub-threads... since I always go on about how inferior they are in my opinion to the original work, and people often take it as if I'm criticizing them, not the dub. That was, once again, not what I meant here... even though I (as I read the line that Tokkan quoted) perfectly understand why you might've come to that conclusion. The reason I posted a very short comment on the voices available in the trailer was that they seemed "even worse than usual" to me. Perhaps this ain't really worse than the average dub. I might not be the best person to tell. =)

Last edited by Meatrose; 2007-12-16 at 09:22.
Meatrose is offline   Reply With Quote