View Single Post
Old 2006-04-03, 16:13   Link #279
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t a resolution of 1080 take 2 & a half times more processing power than a resolution of 720 using H.264?
Fuji even states that H.264 is more complex compared to former compression methods, and is known for requiring processing power that is approximately 10 times that which is required for MPEG-2.
Given this, will software based decoders actually be able to handle H.264 at HD resolutions of 1080 without bogging down our systems or just flat out not working?
The short answer is: depends on your system. If you've got a pretty fast P4 with new memory, you can probably decode true HD h.264 at 1080 now in real time. But my poor Athlon 64 3100 isn't going to cut it. This however can be mitigated by hardware acceleration, which is already implemented in certain high-end video cards, which can offload some of the more time consuming operations like deblocking to hardware.

If you remember, in the early days of mpeg2 we had the same issues, and hardware mpeg2 acceleration is now pretty standard, even though it's unneccesary for most systems. I think the same thing will happen with h264.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote